What Happens When You Violate Parole?

June 22, 2022

violate parole

Parole allows incarcerated individuals to have early release. A parole violation is a serious matter that can result in returning to prison for the remainder of the sentence. Violating parole can also mean the offender committed an additional crime, leading to more legal penalties. The return to prison could be much longer than completing the prior sentence.

Violating parole does not necessarily mean a return to prison. Depending on the nature of the violation, a parole board might place additional restrictions. A parole board might require you to take more drug tests, complete a rehabilitation program, or impose a curfew. A parole board might require you to complete an in-patient drug or alcohol abuse treatment program.

Pennsylvania has parole violator centers that are similar to light-security prisons. People who violate their parole conditions could spend between 60 and 120 days in a parole violator center. When placed in a parole violator center, you cannot leave it until the parole board says you can. While there, you must complete rehabilitation programs designed to help you avoid additional violations.

If you are detained, you have the right to two hearings. The first hearing occurs within 14 days of your placement in a parole violator center. During the first hearing, the parole board decides whether you could be released or if you should be detained for a second hearing. The second hearing usually happens within 120 days of placement in a parole violator center. The second hearing’s purpose is to determine whether you should be allowed to continue your parole or if you should finish your sentence in prison.

How Can a Criminal Defense Lawyer Help?

You have the right to legal representation during your parole hearings. A criminal defense lawyer can help you understand how the hearing process works and how it affects your case.

An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you understand the evidence against you and how to present the best legal defense. Your attorney might enable you to obtain a continuation of your parole instead of going back to prison to finish out your sentence.

The parole board might deliver an unfavorable decision against you. Your attorney could appeal the decision and possibly get it overturned.

Your attorney would have up to 30 days to seek an appeal by submitting a letter detailing why the decision against you is incorrect. An error in applying the law, insubstantial evidence, or a ruling violating constitutional law is subject to reversal.

The board will assign someone to review the decision against you. If your attorney lays out a solid and detailed legal argument on why the decision is wrong, you might reach a favorable outcome.

West Chester Criminal Defense Lawyer at the Law Offices of Heather J. Mattes Will Uphold Your Rights if You Are Accused of Violating Parole

If you are accused of violating parole, our West Chester criminal defense lawyer at the Law Offices of Heather J. Mattes can help you get a fair hearing. Call us at 610-431-7900 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in West Chester, Pennsylvania, we serve clients throughout Chester County, Bucks County, Delaware County, Lehigh County, Montgomery County, and Philadelphia County.

Heather Mattes Map